|...and the new|
So today I decided to take out the new Jang and try it out. We needed to get some carrot seeds planted, since the second succession of carrots didn't turn out well, and I ended up just tilling them in and starting over (maybe the Planet Junior knows it is being replaced, so it refused to cooperate on that second planting of carrots). The first planting of carrots was a good one (and we got it weeded and thinned yesterday), so it should keep us in carrots for a while, but we really need to get in another planting now, or we'll have an interruption in our carrot supply, causing undue stress for both farmers and eaters. I also had salad mix, arugula, beets, radishes, and spinach on my seeding list. The first bed I planted didn't go well at all. The seeders on one side just didn't go into the soil, and the little radish seeds were singulated out very nicely on top of the soil. I figured out that it was crooked, and that I could loosen a bolt and kind of push down on one side and then try and tighten the bolt with my two wrenches in two hands while continuing to apply pressure with my foot. This would straighten things out so that all five seeders ran in the soil, for about 50 feet, until things got all crooked again. The unit I got is actually a light-duty hand-pushed model that can be modified to mount on a tractor. After two 300-foot long-beds worth of stopping every 50 feet to straighten things out, I was ready to go back to the barn, get the handle, and just hand-push the seeder down the beds. As I was getting ready to go back, I noticed the owner's manual. "Maybe I'll just look at the instructions again," I thought. After peering at the instructions for a while, I realized that maybe I had bolted the tractor-mount frame into the wrong hole. It took a little work, but I got it attached to the right hole, and finished up the seeding. We'll see if those carrots turn out nicely spaced exactly one inch apart!